Wednesday, May 28, 2008

May Update









The month of May is nearly over, and my anxiety and excitement builds as the countdown is now in the less than 50 day range for the Badwater start on July 14th. In discussing this race with people , many are surprised that race organizers would schedule the event in the hottest place in the USA, during the hottest months. The most difficult conditions possible? Well, why not start on MONDAY morning also ? Yes, the race does start on MONDAY.





I'm just glad I don't have to tie one hand behind my back!





I just finished reading Jon Vonhoff's book Fixing Your Feet, and I recommend this to all interested in preparing the feet for long distance events. I made Jon's aquaintence after the 2003 Western States 100. My feet were in a real mess, with large blisters on the heels and balls of both feet. Jon quickly went to work with tape, bandages, and scissors which allowed me to walk as a normal person homeward thru the airports and to bed. I'm ever grateful for his time and skill.


I can't accurately account for my miles last month, but I enjoyed 2 runs over 40 miles, during the days' heat, and a 33 mile run from Edmond to El Reno. One conclusion I'll post here is that the further away from a large town/city I run, the more considerate and friendly the drivers are to me. On highways that have the widest shoulder, drivers still pull way over to give me plenty of room, whereas in Norman, OKLA City, the motorists are more concerned with cell phone conversations and "beating" a light. ....just stating the facts....

The United Way Campaign for 2008 is LIVE UNITED. Last week I was invited , along with a couple of co workers on the commitee to participate in a photo shoot for the Media Campaign. This was a lot of fun, but very nerve racking ! It required me to STAND STILL which left me totally uncomfortable, but laughing at myself nonetheless.


Brooks Running deserves my applause for their contribution of a "sun suit" for my daytime protection. Sarah Solseng and her team of Product Developers came up with a very light weight and very functional running suit that I 'll wear to prevent sun burn. It is a perfect fit and I'm very proud to wear it. I have been training and racing in Brooks Trance shoes for the last three years. The shoes provide incredible comfort and fit and 1 pair will last me a long time. I still have my first pair from 2006.



During Sat's training, I also ran the Andy Payne Marathon in OKC. I had a great day despite the recorded time of 4:48. I'm so glad that this event continues through the 31st year. The field of runners has been sparse some years, but JR Cook and U.N.I.T.Y. continue to put on a great event with lots of aide stations and great volunteers, as well as Don Garrett's Race Productions. Saturdays' race was won by Dave Emerson, a friend and ultrarunner from TX. Congrats to all the runners, including the 10k and 5k events.



Music I've really enjoyed this month on my IPOD :

Raising Sand, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss,
On an Island, David Gilmour ,
also NPR podcasts of Fresh Air and Car Talk found on itunes.



All for now, stay tuned...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chisholm,
WOW! I can't think of any better words to use after exploring your "I'm getting ready to do a riduculously long race" blog. I'm very excited for you and also a little scared for you. That's OK because fear motivates me to pray and anything that gets me praying more is good.

Dozens of questions come to mind. I'll just ask one right now. When United Way starts their fund-raising campaign, am I going to see that picture of you 20 feet high as I'm driving down Broadway Ext?

I offer my services to you. If there is anything I can do to help you in these last few weeks of preparation, let me know. I'm behind you all the way.

Stephanie

Charlie said...

Your United Way picture beautifully captures the sheer bad mo fo element. Even Chuck Norris is jealousy stricken.

Anonymous said...

Chism! I have said it before I will say it again. YOU are adorable! Great pic!! I just cannot express how impressed I am with your beautiful heart, your humble nature and your unbelievable physical abilities.

GO 94!

Susie

Anonymous said...

Hey Chisholm!
I'm soooo excited to see that you are the ONLY one from Oklahoma doing this race!!!!! it was so cool to see you on t.v. because I've never seen anyone i know on t.v.!Well my mom says i have to go because i have to pack for the trip! Well i hope you have fun in the race!
-Rachel