Sunday, June 29, 2008

2 weeks...

Yea ! The hardest part of training is now behind me, and I've started to taper off ,rest up, and store as many calories as I can. I know it will be important to not go "flat" so I stay busy running and walking, but I'll cut way-back between now and the time day I travel on July 12.

My crew is ready also: Nancy, Chris and Taylor are all first timers, but so am I, and so was I the first time I crewed this race. I know I'll be in good hands with these three close-by.

The crew will be on the course with me at all times, generally staying a couple of miles ahead, preparing for my frequent need for cold fluids, food, encouragement, prayer and eventually pacing me on foot for moderate stretches to the finish line. They are essential !!

Last week, I had the pleasure of running to The Green People run with Matt Clay. We started from his house in Norman, ran north to Lake Hefner and finished at the bluff creek trail, only 1 hour ahead of the GP start time. This gave us an extra pre-run loop that eventually would add up to a total of +50 for the day, plus entitled us to extra playing cards for a poker hand for prizes. We both had "flush" , receiving GP sun-visors for the effort. Thanks to Katherine Cranwell, David Wood, and OTRA for another fine, fun event, that also sought to raise conciousness for our global impact on the summer solstice.

On a fund-raising note, if you would like to donate to The United Way on my behalf, you can do so online, by following the link to the left of this post. Please leave a note in the comment box so I can be made aware of your gift. If you prefer to write a check, I welcome that also. Please mail it to me at 2817 Shady Tree Lane, Edmond, OK 73013. In either case, I appreciate all of your gifts.


stay tuned...

2 comments:

Charlie said...

I'm pumped for you Chisholm! Best of luck at Badwater

Anonymous said...

Zatare's is an excellent choice for adding carbs if you don't order the tilapia everytime. Be sure to check out the parking situation beforehand. Hey, maybe City Bites will contribute to United Way? Check it out! It sounds like you and your crew are prepared. I wish the best for you. Go Speed Racer, Go!