Monday, May 12, 2008

up til now...

....it seems that time is running out ! According to the countdown timer, less than 62 days remain until the race starts, and it feels like I am only beginning to prepare for this race. I see the event in 3 facets that require attention and hard work.


The first is the physical preparation. Up til now, and beginning training in earnest around the end of Feb. , I've recorded 2 - 50 mile runs, 1 - 33 mile run and a couple in the 20's, besides weekly mileage of 50 or so. I'm the worst at tracking my runs using a running log, so I rely on the planning of the runs ahead rather than what's behind. I'm preparing to run the Andy Payne Marathon on May 24th, with a prerace warmup and cooldown that will net about 55 miles for the day and I'll have at least 2 good weekend runs in June, that will combine for another 150 miles. In between I shoot for 8-12 miles per run, now with the added discomfort of an insulated jacket and running pants that hold my tempture at a much higher than comfortable range. I receive lots of strange looks from motorists that see a thin man, bundled up like a sleeping bag, shufflin down the roads.

This is sorta how I look when I'm running down Hefner road in my winter gear

Thankfully, no one cares to stop, and the outside temps are finally nearing 80 degrees with some regularity. Far cry from 130 that will be possible in Death Valley!!


I've added 4 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables to my normal daily diet which is comprised of breads, meat and too much coffee. Also,stretching my legs after my runs. I hope all of this discipline to details is not too late !!


The second part of the preparation for the race is in the travel, lodging and rentals. This portion of the preparation is nearly complete, although I'm still shopping for good flights thru Las Vegas that seem reasonable. I know that everyone is affected by rising fuel prices and airfare, but the trip to Vegas seems higher than normal. As has become the "tag-line" of the last few seasons in business,...." it is what it is ".

Las Vegas


The hotels filled up fast along the route, but my crew will have beds to sleep in, and warm water to bathe in if they want it. Interesting , the water from the cold lines feels hotter than in the hot lines in Panamint Valley which is 71 miles into the race. I know my crew will experience many other oddities of desert life that only an event like this can present.

The third facet of my preparation is the fundraising part. It is the part that I have the least experience in but feel the need for equal efforts to present a winning outcome. I've designated the United Way of Central Oklahoma as the charity that I wanted to raise money for. In doing so, I've already had the pleasure of meeting and now working with Natalie and Erin of the United Way . With their help, I now have this blog, and other tools that can help in heightening awareness of the services and concerns that the United Way provides.



Erin B and me,... without my ipod



I hope this blog will serve to inform my friends and keep them up to date on the preparaton process and encourage anyone who reads this to follow the links to The United Way web site for complete information. Because of the United way , over 350,000 people from this area are provided help and services.

4 comments:

Jamie Donaldson said...

Hi Chicholm! I just found your blog! That is so cool you are doing Badwater too! I am getting sooooo excited and I can't believe how soon it is! Happy Training!

Jamie Donaldson said...

Sorry for the spelling error! Chisholm!

Chisholm Deupree said...

Jamie,
NO worries, BTW , I "borrowed" your Badwater gidget/timer. I hope you don't mind .
See you there..

Matt said...

Chisholm,

I like your blog. I'm looking forward to going on some of those run with you in June. I'll see you at Andy Payne - I'm taking the driving to race option.